Tuesday, September 8, 2015

FoodQT: Capirotada


Here's a very traditional Mexican peasant dish. I've only eaten it a handful of times in my life, bit every time it was delicious.  Now, that I can make it, I'll make it more often.

Supplies :
1 loaf of french bread (1-3 days old)
Cubed into 1inch.
2 eggs + 1 yolk
1/4 cup of raisins
1/4 cup of sliced almonds or any kind of nuts
1/4 cup of tiny non-pareils
2 Mexican Chocolate Discs
3 1/2 cups of milk
1/ 2 tsp of cinnamon
1/2 -3/4 cup of sugar (to taste)
Pinch of salt
Optional: Hard Cheese, dried fruit, and even meat

1. Start by boil milk, mix in cinnamon, sugar and discs to melt. Do not burn, keep an eye on it. After it cools down. Add eggs to chocolate mixture. Temper eggs in mix, so they don't scramble.
 2. Pour on 9x13in, buttered pan. Add all your toppings you like and let it rest for 1 hr. Covered with holes poked in covering.
This is to make sure all liquid is absorbed.

3. Bake at 375 for 30-40 mins. I pulled mine out at 35. I even gave a slight broil, to add a little more crispy texture. (Do not broil if you add cheese)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanx for sharing the love!